SLANT announces sponsorship at the 2nd Annual Greenville Polo Classic
Nothing gets us more excited than things that we love all coming together at once. In the case of the Greenville Polo Classic event, that would be: fun, fancy pants, horses and a very worthy cause.
Congratulations to our founder & creative director Christopher Cecil on being installed to AAF Greenville’s 2013 Board. SLANT is thrilled to be involved with such a stellar organization. And when we say stellar, we’re not just blowing smoke. AAF Greenville was just recognized as Division Four Club Of The Year.
When asked to share a comment, Cecil said: "It's awesome to be surrounded by some truly inspirational people in the creative industry. I can't wait to get involved and learn. Plus, you know...free food and stuff."
Remember that time we opened our 2nd office in Greenville? Yeah well, we've been busy since then, so last night we finally had the opportunity to host a formal launch party. Thanks to our new friends, old friends, and of course our moms & dads for stopping by to celebrate with us.
(oh, and looks like our kebo party gifts were a huge hit!)
Albert Einstein once said "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” This inspired us to take a brief pause from our 90-mile-an-hour pace to give some proper make-out time to our favorite girl: SLANT.
We shut down the office early on a Thursday afternoon and hit the road to Greenville for our first ever "SLANT University." We gathered at our new Greenville offices in the NEXT Innovation Center for a day of learning and collaborating (and some drinking) with each other on what makes SLANT....uh....SLANTASTIC.
Chief Brand Architect Christopher Cecil led the SLANT team through an analysis of the philosophy and principles behind our work, business model, and our relationship with clients. We then had a refresher course on how to present SLANT's brand and voice and what it means to be a SLANT employee. And then we ate
Friday, we took a day away from the grind to join some of Greenville's finest at TEDxGreenville. TED is a California event (short for Technology, Entertainment, Design) that brings together creative thinkers to present "Ideas worth spreading." TEDx events are organized independently in the same spirit.
TEDxGreenville was an engaging, fast-paced and thought-provoking collection of 29 local designers, entrepreneurs, entertainers and original TED videos to give us all food for thought.
Some highlights included:
- How Christian Long saw unconvential classroom design bring out the best in a group of young students
- Some sassy flamenco foot stomping seldom seen at the 10am hour
- Jim De Piante's account of the obstacles IBM overcame to make WATSON a worthy adversary on Jeopardy (who knew three years ago that WATSON was the underdog)
- Gripping poetry enactments about the pain and determination of two women by Say What and Say Word poetry slam teams
- A must-see video of how Salman Khan is reinventing education
- A tear-jerker from Shannon Pierce, who shared how pain was the mother of her invention
- Some introspection as kART Across America asked us, "What is your art?"
- A glimpse at Alex Bogusky's interesting, if ambiguous, COMMON project - an effort to create a capitalist utopia that gives new product ideas a leg up
- And the wry and witty Phil Yanov punctuated the presentations as master of ceremonies.
Great job, Greenville team. Presentations were top-line enough to be engaging, keep the day moving and foster questions and conversation during the sunshiney, riverside break time.
If you want some food for thought and unique entertainment too, check out a TEDx in your area!
... to the Upstate! (For all you northerners, we don't mean New York - that's what we call the Greenville area of SC).
Before you panic, the Charleston SLANT office you know and love is still going to be home sweet home on King Street. We're just excited to announce that we're expanding to Greenville.
That's right, two SLANT offices. Double the pleasure, double the fun!
- It was part of the master plan, ever since SLANT was a twinkle in Christopher's eye
- Lots of snazzy businesses are headquartered in Greenville/Spartanburg
- It's a great HQ for serving ATL and Charlotte area companies who want creative work without all of the layers of a big agency
- We know the area well - Christopher grew up there and we're all Clemson Tigers (FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT)
- World domination has to start somewhere
So, Christopher has hit the road to stake out SLANT's Greenville home. If you want to meet up, make friends or get something started, give us a call at or email us: projects (at) slantmedia.net. It's a great time to be growing!
"Oh, hai Greenville…"
SLANT Greenville has moved into our new digs at the NEXT Innovation Center. Stop by and say "hi" sometime, or at least show Christopher where to get a good cup of coffee around town.